1.08.2010

The Year of Domesticity

I have never claimed to be Martha Stewart, nor would any one ever classify me as "crafty". Every now and again I get a bug - one that would make me look like June Cleaver (minus the apron and hairdo).
The husband always says I am crafty, but I'm not. Not in the traditional sense of the word. I don't go to craft shows looking for ideas. I don't have wooden signs hung around my home adorned with kitschy sayings. My home is actually pretty bare except for the few art works hanging on the walls.
The "crafts" I do enjoy are few and far between and pretty random. I do enjoy sewing, although I would never offer to teach anything other than how my machine works and how to sew a line. I have made a few articles of clothing, a few bags and some curtains, but I would never call myself a pro. I have attempted knitting, not much success and every now and again I will crochet, but it's usually the same, basic stitch that turns into a scarf (or if I am feeling especially crafty, a baby blanket). I have many long pieces of crocheting that have yet to turn into anything. And on occasion I have been known to paint the odd flower pot.
My latest attempt I am holding out hope for success. Mainly because I don't think I can screw it up. Although maybe I should wait until I am finished, because with me, I could probably find a way to screw it up.
I made bread once. Well, rolls actually. It doesn't really matter though because they were inedible and found their way into the trash pretty quickly. I think they may have been harder than hockey pucks. Maybe even harder than the hardest material known to man. I haven't made a second attempt...until today. I got a bread machine this Christmas. It seems pretty simple. I can't mess up too badly when all I have to do is throw in the materials, plug it in and press the buttons, right??? I guess we will see, but I won't drop dead if it comes out like a brick or in crumbs.
Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Grandma Smith said...

I'm very excited to see the results I expect pictures and everything! I'm sure it will turn out great and if not you can always blame the machine. Bread is like anything else the more you do it the better it gets so keep practicing and tasting and you'll find the perfect recipe.