9.18.2007

Fall is in the airwaves!

So now that Mark has had his opportunity to rant...back to regularly scheduled programming!

I have a new mission in life. This epiphany came to me as I watched the Emmy's and read my latest edition of Entertainment Weekly. This is serious folks, we are talking life or death here. Something must be done in the next few months to ensure success and I am calling on all the open minded, faithful, risk takers out there.
30 Rock must be saved. Now, it was renewed for a full season this year, but EW brought to my attention that it finished last season in 137th place. Serious? Two and a Half Men get more viewers (have you seen that show?? No thanks.) If you have any doubt, I ask that you call upon Dawnell or Chris. We gave them the challenge late last season and she, while a little apprehensive, said they would give it a shot. They are now loyal fans. How can a show with Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey and newcomer Jack McBrayer be bad?? Add in guest stars such as Elaine Stritch, Isabella Rossalini, Paul Ruebens (probably my fave episode ever), Will Arnett and a plethora of others... it's magic!! Last season it progressively became funnier and funnier, leading to my ultimate fave episode that had me almost of the couch laughing. Who knew the Prince of Austria would illicit so many laughs!
In my opinion the breakout star of the show is McBrayer's Kenneth the Page. He cracks me up and steals every scene he is in. Just thinking about his character makes me laugh.
Now I know not everyone out there is a TV junkie like I have apparently become (my parents are so proud), but try it out, you won't be disappointed. and if you are, then you have no sense of humour and suck the life out of every room you walk into (kidding... sort of!)
Now I assume that all of you are on board, so we should have no problems bringing this intelligent, hilarious sitcom out of the abyss of TV show ratings into a much
more appropriate ranking. I can't give it my overall #1 ranking because that belongs to this, but I can give it my #1 top comedy easily.

And since we are discussing TV... I might as well launch into my plans for the Fall Premiere Season (Deal or No Deal started it off last night). Trustworthy EW gave me a lovely handy dandy reference guide of all the new shows and returning shows for the season to ensure I don't miss a thing! There looks to be some good freshman shows this year, and inevitabley there looks to be some stinkers (Cavemen anyone?), but I am looking forward to Pushing Daises (which I know I have previously mentioned) the most. I think I will also check out Chuck, Journeyman, Viva Laughlin (yes I watched CopRock when it was on too - but this one has Hugh Jackman!), Samantha Who (might be cute), Aliens in America, Reaper and Bionic Woman might be worth a looksy. I figure anything is worth a one time watching - some might be worth two, but some might never find themselves on my DVR again.
Returning shows that will find a place on my DVR though: Amazing Race (when it starts up), Medium, L&O (all of them), Scrubs, 30 Rock, My Name is Earl, ANTM, Idol, DWTS (love ballroom!), and Ugly Betty. Of course some of those get more of my love than others and might end up being erased without being watched!! The most glaring omission is LOST - when will February come???? - but that will be the most anticipated season opener ever, it's going to be so good!!

If there is only one thing you take from this post, please let it be to give 30 Rock (season premiere Thursday October 4th, 8:30pm) a shot - if you don't like it, I will send you a personal blogpology for making you sit through 30 minutes of time you feel was not well spent - just email me and let me know!

Now only one question left to be answered and that is: Why in the world did I not go into some sort of televsion related career field?? Anyone have an answer to that?

13 comments:

Sheena Larkin said...

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the Office didn't make it on your list. But I trust your opinion so I may have to give 30 Rock a try.

Chris said...

We are 30 Rock converts because of Melanie's insistence, and for that we're grateful, but I too am shocked at the lack of The Office love. What's up with that? 30 Rock not only isn't the best comedy on TV, it's not even the best comedy in its network's Thursday night lineup.

Melanie said...

Ok,we watch the Office, but it's not on my DVR list because I can do without it. I seriously think Steve C is the least funniest person on there! I watch it for the other characters, but if I had to pick a show to miss, I would miss it! 30 Rock is hands down funnier than the Office.

Erin said...

Alright Mel, I'll trust you. I will watch 30 Rock. Since all but one of the shows I watched ended last season, I'll have plenty of free evenings... :(

Granum Family said...

Well if you think 30 Rock is funnier than the Office I'll have to check it out. Can't wait for this season of all these shows!!!

Melissa said...

We LOVE 30 Rock. Kyle got so mad at me at first saying "we don't need ANOTHER show" and blah blah. I watched it anyway. After the prince of Austria one I forced him to watch it and its now one of his favortie shows. 137? COME on. People are so lame. I had the same anger when Arrested Development got canceled...how do such horrible shows make it and the true gems go away? Boggles my mind.
Good job of spreading the 30 Rock gospel.
PS - I have never loved Alec Baldwin until this show. He rules.

Holly said...

Yes, I agree. We love 30 Rock and can't understand why no one is watching it?! We will try our best to convert others.

Higa said...

um... have you seen Heroes? You seemed to miss that one. I have to agree... 30 Rock is great! Tina Fey is my hero!

Unknown said...

So how smart was I to go on maternity leave just in time to make sure I don't miss a thing on the new fall shows? And, we're finally breaking down and paying for cable and DVR - all the better to record primetime shows and watch them in the middle of the night when I'm up with the baby. Brilliant!

Kyndra said...

Any show that doesn't interfere with the Grey's Anatomy time slot is worth a shot for me, so I'll watch 30 Rock. But why isn't Grey's Anatomy on your list? I think you have sinned a sin of ommission here.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Grey's Anatomy sin. Have you watched it yet Mel? I'll watch 30 Rock if you'll give Grey's a try.
Trisha

Devin said...

I think I have found an alternative to PerezHilton and TMZ.coms as my internet entertainment, and that is your blog! Mel, our TV habits are eerily alike. I do agree with others though, the lineup is not complete without Grey's or The Office.

Melanie said...

I feel I must again reply on my own blog! I have no interest in Grey's - the little I have seen has never made me want to watch whole episodes (sorry!) and Heroes, well we had intended to watch it from the start but it never happened, there was just too much tv watching already!